TYPE: Researching, typographic practice interests

Tyler asked us:
"Think about large areas of typographic practice you're interested in."

So here's a list I dug from the depths of my design heart:
  1. Independent type in physical spaces, in unexpected places or sizes
  2. New productions methods of type, i.e. different analog methods
  3. Democratic type components, or modular type
  4. Entropy, time-based processes (can this be used in type?)
  5. Finding god in the details, exploiting perfection in type
  6. Type as a 3-d object
For the upcoming projects ahead, I think I'll need to be a little more specific and I think that I favor some topics over others (I'd love love love love to work on an entropy based project), but it looks like I'll be exploring type a combination of both 1. and 6. --dimensional type in purposeful spaces. There are tons of examples of designers who are interested in type in the 3rd dimension (just google dimensional typography), but finding good literature on these experiments was limited ...but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. This book is one of few I found, and I might just end up buying it.

But the other topic I'm really interested in is the "democratic components" of type (this is a term I made-up). Tyler Galloway created a typeface around this idea, and I've seen others do some cool things with similar concepts that fall into this made-up category. The way I see it is, everything has a natural order and is much simpler than we think, and so by organizing things in this way we can make sense of the complexities of all our surroundings and discover/appreciate its inner beauty (less, in every possible way, is very much more than we realize) . There is a mathematical order in nature, and how can this theory be applied to type? I don't know, but I'd like to find the golden mean somewhere, you know what I mean?! Now I feel as though I'm rambling..

Anyway, check out this flickr page from Birbeck College's LLC School in London. Interesting work, some of it.